Helping. Healing.
One Child At A Time.

Reducing The Trauma Of Child Abuse In The Barren River Area

Participate in Our Upcoming Events

Over The Edge


Our 2021 Over the Edge was a HUGE success! Thank you to everyone that sponsored, donated, and participated. We are in the works to secure dates for OTE in September of 2022. Be on the lookout for the release of those dates on our social pages.

Learn More About This EventDonate To This EventBecome a Sponsor

Great Teddy Bear Run


The Great Teddy Bear Run is scheduled for an April ride every year. We collect hundreds of teddy bears for children that are going through the process here at the Child Advocacy Center. Along with bears, we need donations to be able to provide services to children. Be on the lookout our our social media pages about details to come.  The kids need us now more than ever.

Learn More About This EventDonate To This EventBecome a Sponsor

Save the Date!

The Great Teddy Bear Run turned Great Teddy Bear Drop n' Ride will take place with individual rides throughout our community.  Your destination route will include fun stops and a Teddy Bear drop off on April 23rd and 24th.  Upon registration, participants will receive a Discount Card with discounts to local businesses. Join us! The kids need us now more than ever.

Serving Our Community


The number of individuals in our community who learned more about Child Abuse Prevention


The number of Therapy Sessions that the BRACAC team provided last year to children


The number of Cases Coordinated by multidisciplinary teams with BRACAC last year

How Do We Help?

The BRACAC provides children and their non-offending family members with advocacy and support, coordination of the investigation process and critical direct services.

  • Complete coordination of cases
  • Advocates help children feel safe again
  • Healing trauma with trained therapists
  • Full support to reclaim their best future
Find Out More...
How To Help

How You Can Help Prevent Child Abuse

Training Opportunities For Kids and Adults

Learn More

How To Report Child Abuse

If a child is in immediate danger, call 911.

If you suspect child abuse or neglect, please call 1-877-KYSAFE1.  Visit the Cabinet for Health and Family Services to learn more or to make a report.

In Kentucky, the law requires all of us to report concerns of abuse or neglect to law enforcement, the Cabinet for Health and Family Services and/or the County or Commonwealth Attorney. (KRS 620.030)

Support The Center

With your help we provide a safe, child-friendly location where teams of professionals work together to pursue justice and offer treatment. It's donations like yours that help children get the support and care that they need.

Make A Donation Today

Child Advocacy Resources

Information On Child Abuse

Learn More

Be The Change You Want To See

Frequently Asked Questions

Wouldn’t A Child Who Has Been Sexually Abused Be Fearful Of The Offender?

Sexual abusers often “groom” their victims by giving gifts, attention, and/or special privileges. This grooming process insures continued access and secrecy with the victim. The abuser may also be a close friend, member of the family, or someone else that the victim loves or looks up to.

As The Protective Caregiver - What About My Feelings?

Caregivers of victims also have a variety of emotions following a disclosure of abuse. Common emotions experienced by caregivers are guilt, sadness, shock, anger, and even depression. If the abuser is also a caregiver, there may be worries about housing and economic issues that must be considered. Although the caregiver’s emotions may be strong, it is important that the child believes that the caregiver can handle the disclosure or the results. The child, if he/she feels that the emotions created by the disclosure are too intense, may withdraw thinking that this will lessen the strain on the caregiver. It is vital that the caregiver speak to another competent adult, NOT the child, about their complex and strong feelings. It may be helpful for the parent to seek treatment with a counselor who is experienced in working with the families of victims.

Caregivers also must separate their own emotions from those of the victim. Caregivers can help the victim express his/her own feelings about the abuse. This can be especially difficult for caregivers who experienced abuse themselves as a child. Watching a loved one go through abuse may bring up old emotions. It is important that the caregiver resolves these feelings with a competent adult or counselor and NOT the child.

Support groups with other caregivers of victims can also be very helpful during this time. Information on groups is available at your local children’s advocacy center.

Can A Child Consent To Having Sex With An Adult Or Much Older Child/Teenager?

No. Because of age, size and/or the nature of the relationship, adults have power and authority over children. Children, therefore, do not have the maturity to equally consent to a sexual act with an adult or much older child. Each state has laws that define the legal age at which a child can consent to a sexual activity.

Does Child Sexual Abuse Involve More Than Touching?

Sexual abuse can take on many forms such as fondling, penetration, exposure of private parts, participation and/or viewing of pornography, and communicating with a child in a sexualized manner.  All forms are serious and must be addressed by law enforcement, child protective services, and/or medical professionals.

How Can I Find Out About Sex Offenders In My Area?

Sex offenders are required to register with law enforcement when they move or after their release from prison/jail. A list of sex offenders registered in Kentucky can be accessed via the internet at This information can be obtained by calling toll free 1-866-564-5652. At this number, an individual can register up to 3 zip codes to monitor and a phone number. When a registered sex offender moves into and/or within that three zip code area, the Kentucky State Police willnotify the phone number provided.

Although the registration, phone notification, and website system is helpful, it is not 100% accurate. Even though there is a punishment if a convicted sex offender does not register, some offenders do not register. Also, some offenders “plead out” of their cases and therefore may not have to register, if their plea agreement does not include a registerable offense. Persons convicted of sex crimes before July 15, 1994 are not required to register for those crimes. Offenders who are not reported, charged, and convicted are not required to register.

View All FAQs
Reducing The Trauma Of Child Abuse In The Barren River Area